Tuesday, January 20, 2015

ACAA Member Spotlight: Jeri Lynn Killian



I took this photo of “Sam & Samantha” in Yosemite.  It was about 20 degrees that day with a wind chill probably below 0.  I was at one of my favorite places in the park when the two ravens landed on a snowbank right in front of my car.  They were grooming each other and I was transfixed.  I begin taking photos from the car where it was nice and warm but soon realized I wanted to get closer to them.  I moved slowly and to my amazement they didn’t fly away.  I shot them for over an hour.  I had to keep jumping in and out of my car it was so cold.  Each time I would return and kneel in front of them they would look right into my lens; I eventually just sat in the snow to take the photos.  I swear they knew all about composition and posed perfectly for me.  Many visitors to the park walked around me and never even stopped to look at them.
I won first place in the Photography Division of Northern California’s largest juried art show with this image.  In addition, I entered the photo into a juried photography contest in Black & White Magazine.  The fine art photography magazine www.bandwmag.com/ has more than 40,000 viewers worldwide and is sold in 60 countries.
“Sam & Samantha” were juried in and are featured in the February Special Issue, 2015 Contest Winners edition of Black & White Magazine.  I am proud that others are now able to see these beautiful ravens up close and personal.

Jeri Lynn Killian

No comments:

Post a Comment